Fresh Start Checking
Fresh Start Checking is the perfect second-chance opportunity for members who have had difficulty with a checking account in the past. Rio Grande Credit Union makes it easy to get started again. A successful checking account can be a useful tool for sound money management.
While Fresh Start Checking is a checkless account, you'll enjoy online everything with convenient ways to manage your money, including mobile banking apps and online payment options. You'll get Rio Grande Rewards, where you earn time you buy. Plus, you can get Make the Change, where you can round up every transaction and build your savings.
Fresh Start Checking features
- No minimum opening deposit & balance requirement
- Free Visa® Debit Card - Use your card to make secure and simple purchases worldwide.
- No limit on number of transactions - Use your card as many times per month as you want with no charge. In fact, we pay you with Rio Grande Rewards
- Possibility to upgrade your account after 12 Months - After 12 consecutive months of use, your account can be reviewed and converted to a Roadrunner or Zia Checking account. If your account is upgraded, you'll also become eligible for our Periodic Overdraft Protection Service.
- Rewards with no hoops. Redeem for cash back, purchase rebates, gift cards, merchandise or travel.
- Make the Change. Round up your debit transactions and watch the savings add up.
- Cell phone protection. Pay your cell phone with your debit card and get up to $500 protection against theft or damage
Bank anywhere. Anytime.
- Enjoy nearly 30,000 fee-free ATMs
- Check your balance, view transactions, and manage your account 24/7 online or through Online & Mobile Banking
- Pay anyone, anytime with iPay
Rewards and Perks
with Free Checking At Rio Grande Credit Union, you'll get free benefits you won't find at other institutions.
Earn up to 1 point for every $1 you spend with your Debit Card. It doesn't matter whether you enter your PIN or sign for the transaction. Redeem your points for gift cards, travel or turn them in for cash back!
Make the Change
Round up your debit card purchases to the nearest dollar. Sweep it to the savings of your choice!
Cell Phone Protection
Mobile phone protection—at no cost to you!
Rio Grande offers built-in cellphone insurance with all our debit cards. Simply pay your monthly cellphone bill with your RGCU debit card and receive up to $500 in protection (minus a $50 deductible) if your cellphone is damaged or stolen.
Debit Card Extras
Your RGCU Debit Card is Packed with powerful benefits. Things like:
- Price Protection - If you purchased an item with your debit card and see it advertised at a lower price within 60 days, you may get reimbursed for the difference.
- Extended Warranty - If you purchased an item with your debit card, you can extend a manufacturer’s warranty by up to one year.
- Purchase Security - Brand-new items purchased with your debit card can be covered in the event of vandalism, accidents, weather, and theft!
- Personal Identity Theft - If your identity is stolen, it can cost money to resolve it. You can be reimbursed up to $5,000 for the costs associated with recovery.
- And More!
Features and Benefits
|Insured Transaction Account||Fresh Start Checking Account|
|Visa Debit Card||Free|
|Minimum Opening Deposit||$0|
|Monthly Maintenance Fee||$0|
|Overdraft or Non-Sufficient Funds (NSF) Fees||N/A. Overdraft and returned item (non-sufficient funds/NSF) fees do not apply to Fresh Start Checking accounts and standard overdraft coverage is not available. Optional overdraft services, such as Overdraft Protection and Debit Card Overdraft Service, are also not available.|
|Account Activation, Closure, Dormancy, Inactivity, and Low Balance Fees||None|
|Branch Access||Free and unrestricted access|
|Telephone Banking (Including Live Support)||Free and unrestricted access|
|ATM Access||Free and unrestricted access in network. $1.50 for out-of-network transactions|
|Deposit Capability||Free cash and checks in branch and at ATM (when available), and direct deposit|
|Check Cashing for Checks Issued by RGCU||Free|
|Online Banking, Mobile Banking, Banking Alerts||Free|
|Monthly Statements||Free electronic; $2 for mailed paper|
|Insured Account Deposits||Insured by NCUSIF to at least $250,000|
|Account Screening (e.g. ChexSystems, Early Warning Services)||Can be denied for past incidences of actual fraud or an outstanding or unresolved loss to RGCU|
|Alternative IDs||Accept alternative IDs such as ITIN or Matricula Card|
|Online Account Opening||Free|
|Linked Savings Accounts||Free savings accounts and account transfers, including Make the Change|
|Funds Availability||Immediate availability for U.S. Treasury checks, Wire transfers, Checks drawn on Us, Cash, State & local government check, Cashier's, certified, and teller's checks, Federal Reserve Bank checks, Federal Home Loan Bank checks, and postal money orders, if items are payable to You.|
|Wires||Competitively priced by country ($15.00 - $50.00)|
|Credit-Building Services Available||Secured credit card, secured personal loan, free access to credit scores, and free Financial Coaching|