2021 Annual Meeting
The meeting will be held on April 17 at 10:00 AM
Due to the COVID-19 situation and the New Mexico Department of Health’s ban on public gatherings, we will likely hold the meeting online again this year.
Please mark the date and check back here for important updates.
The information that will be conveyed includes: the highlights of 2020, the state of the credit union, the Board of Directors election results, and upcoming events in 2021.
As a credit union member, you have a unique opportunity to have your voice heard. RGCU is governed by a Board of Directors made up of 7 credit union members. These Board members are elected by all of you, the membership, and serve in a volunteer capacity. That democratically elected, volunteer leadership is one of the key differences between credit unions and other for-profit financial institutions.
The nominating committee has made nominations for vacancies on the Board. The election will not be conducted by ballot and there will be no nominations from the floor when the number of nominees equals the number of positions to be filled. However, additional nominations may be made by petition prior to the meeting by following the procedures and by meeting the criteria within the established timeline as outlined below.
The deadline for picking up candidate packets for the 2021 Board of Directors election has passed.
Election Rules, Procedures and Qualification Requirements for the Board of Directors
The Election Committee shall be comprised of the Rio Grande Credit Union’s (RGCU) Supervisory Committee and shall be known as the Selection Committee. The “Election Period” is herewith defined to mean the period beginning on the date Volunteer Applications are available for pick up by candidates and concluding when the Annual Membership meeting is held, and election results are announced.
- The Election Teller for the election will be Cornerstone Credit Union League. Decisions made by Cornerstone Credit Union League are final.
- Candidates must be a member of RGCU for a minimum of three years, be in good standing, meet the prerequisites as listed in the RGCU Board of Directors’ Job Description (see attached), and must be at least 18 years old. In addition, a candidate must have a minimum of two years’ employment or volunteer experience in a financial services institution or a financial services-related institution or must have equivalent experience. The Selection Committee, in its sole discretion, shall make a final determination of whether the candidate’s volunteer service satisfies this requirement.
- A candidate must inform RGCU of his/her intent to seek election by downloading a Volunteer Application from RGCU’s website (www.riograndecu.org), or by picking up a Volunteer Application at the RGCU Downtown branch located at 1211 4th Street NW, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87102, and by signing the Website Log or the Selection Committee’s Candidate Log no later than 12:00 pm MST (noon) on Thursday, January 14, 2021.
- The candidate’s Volunteer Application, a brief statement of qualifications and biographical data, including specific information on length of membership with RGCU and prior volunteer service with a financial services institution, must be returned to the RGCU Downtown branch located at 1211 4th Street NW, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87102, or completed on the website, no later than 12:00 p.m. MST (noon) on Thursday, January 21, 2021. The Selection Committee has sole discretion to determine Volunteer Applications incomplete and/or non-responsive and therefore deem the candidate ineligible to continue with the election process.
- Candidates must also complete and pass the Board of Directors financial literacy competencies required by the National Credit Union Administration within the calendar year immediately preceding the date of submission of the Volunteer Application. Information concerning this requirement is contained in the Volunteer Application packet (see attached notice). Evidence of successful completion of this requirement within the last year is mandatory with submission of the Volunteer Application. Current incumbents seeking reelection and Supervisory Committee members are exempt from this financial literacy requirement.
- The Selection Committee may, at its discretion, nominate no more than one qualified individual for each position. The candidates nominated by the Selection Committee shall be automatically placed on the election ballot.
- If there are qualified candidates other than those nominated by the Selection Committee, those candidates shall promptly be notified by email that they have not been nominated by the Selection Committee, but that they may be placed on the ballot if they obtain valid signatures of at least 1% of RGCU members in good standing. Signatures must be obtained on current petition forms designated and provided by RGCU. Signatures must be returned to the RGCU Rio Bravo branch located at 301 Rio Bravo Blvd. SE, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87105, no later than 12:00 p.m. MST (noon) on Thursday, February 11, 2021. Each signature line must be completed fully, and all information must be legible. The Selection Committee and RGCU staff will verify each signature line and make a determination, in their sole discretion, concerning validity of a signature, including, but not limited to, whether a member is in good standing. Signatures shall be invalid if they are deemed illegible, the member is not in good standing or the account holder is a joint member. A candidate who fails to obtain the minimum number of valid signatures shall not be placed on the ballot.
- A drawing of the candidates’ tentative ballot position shall be held no later than Friday, February 19, 2021.
- Paper ballots will be mailed to RGCU members no later than Wednesday, March 3, 2021 and completed ballots must be received in the return envelope provided no later than Thursday, March 18, 2021.
- Election results shall be announced publicly to the membership at the Annual Meeting. Candidates will be informed individually of the outcome of the election via the email address they provided within a reasonable time after the results are provided to the Selection Committee.
- Candidates soliciting assistance from RGCU employees is prohibited.
- At any time during the Election Period, candidates’ campaign posters will not be permitted on RGCU premises and no candidate campaigning will be allowed on RGCU property or within 100 feet of RGCU property, including parking lots. Campaigning includes gathering, seeking, or requesting signatures and any form of working in an organized and active manner concerning the ballot and election, including, but not limited to, asking or requesting RGCU members and/or staff to vote in the election. Any violation of this provision will result in a candidate being disqualified from the election. The Selection Committee reserves the right to make, in their sole discretion, all decisions concerning disqualification and which decisions will be deemed final and non-appealable.
- Member names and addresses are available from RGCU for voting purposes only. All candidate mailers must be produced and paid for by the candidate. Additionally, all candidates shall use an RGCU approved mail house (options will be provided by RGCU). Confidential member information will not be provided directly to the candidate. The candidate must cover all mail house costs.
- Any candidate communications, including candidate mailers and any other campaign materials, whether mailed, distributed by hand or shared on social media, must be approved by the Selection Committee prior to being distributed in any format to members. The Selection Committee may take up to five business days to respond to candidates.
- Any RGCU purchased materials, including use of RGCU’s logo, may not be used for election purposes (ex., business cards, letterhead).
- These Rules and regulations are in accordance with the RGCU Bylaws.
- The Selection Committee reserves the right to edit candidates’ statements for content and consistency and to shorten any statements it deems excessively lengthy and/or inaccurate. Statements shall not exceed 150 words. Any text in excess of 150 words will not be included in the candidate’s statement provided to members.
- If any of the above rules are not satisfied or otherwise violated, as determined by the Selection Committee in its sole discretion, the applicant shall be disqualified from the election.
- Candidates shall refrain from contacting the Selection Committee in person, by telephone or e-mail. A violation of this rule will result in disqualification from the election. If questions concerning the election arise, candidates shall address question(s) in writing to: Selectioncommittee@riograndecu.org. The Selection Committee will seek to respond to inquiries within 48 hours of receiving emails.
- Candidates understand and agree that submission of the Volunteer Application shall result in the Selection Committee performing a background check with a third-party vendor and that Candidate shall be required to cooperate in the background check process.
- These rules govern the conduct of the 2021 election.